Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: Alberto Zambenedetti


As far as movie watching is concerned, 2011 was an unusual year for me. For various reasons I had to forgo all international travel, I was not able to attend any major film festivals, and getting myself to a movie theater was a luxury I could afford only sporadically. My film viewership dropped from my usual three hundred titles per year to a square one hundred, which is a very low average for a film scholar, let alone one that dabbles in online and print criticism. The titles in this list reflect the uncommon set of circumstances that kept me away from my favorite activity. I limited my choices to the films I watched in a theater during the solar year (which were not repertoire). Some of them were released in 2010 but played in New York throughout the first few weeks of 2011.

1. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick)
2. Melancholia (Lars von Trier)
3. Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn)
4. The Trip (Michael Winterbottom, 2010)
5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher)
6. Another Earth (Mike Cahill)
7. Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Werner Herzog, 2010)
8. Blue Valentine (Derek Cianfrance, 2010)
9. TRON: Legacy (Joseph Kosinski, 2010)
10. Bill Cunningham New York (Richard Press, 2010)

Alberto is a PhD candidate at New York University.

No comments: